This morning a friend invited me and another friend for dinner. She said to bring dessert or an appetizer. I chose dessert. It was so cold outside that I decided to bake with whatever I had on hand because I was not going out. I remembered I had frozen strawberries and decided that a chocolate-strawberry cake it would be. I found this recipe and modified it to accomodate what I had in the pantry. The result was one of the fluffiest, yummiest cakes I’ve ever baked.
CHOCOLATE-STRAWBERRY CAKE SQUARES
- 2/3 lb frozen strawberries, thawed (save 1/2 c juices)
- 1 and 2/3 c sugar, divided in 1 c and 2/3 c
- 1 cup boiling-hot water
- 3/4 cup extra-dark unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 c) butter, softened
- 4 large eggs
- Powdered (confectioner’s) sugar for garnish
- In a bowl, toss the thawed strawberries and the 1/2 c of their juice with 2/3 cup sugar. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix the cocoa and hot water in a bowl and mix until chocolate is fully dissolved. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and mix it with the salt and baking soda in another bowl. Set aside.
- Either in the bowl of a standing mixer, or another big bowl, mix the butter and 1 c remaining cup of sugar at medium speed until well-blended and fluffy, which in my case was about 4 minutes. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Alternate the flour, strawberries and chocolate mixtures, starting and ending with the flour until they mix. Do not over-beat, but make sure ingredients are incorporated.
- Butter a rectangular 9×13 pan and pour batter into it. Bake in the middle rack for 35 minutes.
- Allow it to cool in the pan, slice into squares and dust with powdered sugar before serving.
The original recipe said to bake for 35-40 minutes but mine came out exactly at 35. I used a glass pan and it worked very well. If you use a metallic one check your time as the baking time may change. It looked like this when it came out: