It’s summer. A time when I generally don’t bake. But I had berries in the fridge and I wasn’t going to let them go to waste. So I made this pie, and now I am having dreams of crème fraîche topping it and thinking it was not too bad an idea to make it.
For the crust:
- 1 stick butter
- a little cold water
- 1 1/4 cup flour
For the filling:
- 1 lb strawberries, cut up in quarters
- 6 oz raspberries
- 3/4 c sugar
- about 4 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp tapioca
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Prepare the crust following the instructions here.
- Mix all the filling ingredients and let them sit for about 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough and place it on your baking pie. Top with berry filling and bake for about 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool before slicing (this will allow the filling to set). Serve with whipped cream or crème fraîche.
This time I chose not to pre-bake the crust. If you do, bake it until it is barely pale, 9 to 15 minutes. After filling it, bake pie for 30 minutes only. Remember that the longer you cook it, the harder the filling will become.