Here’s a the recipe my mom has been using for ages, and therefore the one I use too.
BASIC PIE CRUST DOUGH
- about 1 and 1/4 cups of flour, sifted
- 1 bar of unsalted butter, cold, cut up in small pieces
- pinch of salt, if you want
- cold water
- Mix the flour and butter by hand until they feel like sand.
- Add the salt (optional). Add the water by teaspoons, mixing the dough as you go.
- Be careful to not add too much water or the dough will become gummy.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for about an hour
- Set oven to 350 F degrees
- Lightly flour a working surface, or spread plastic wrap on the counter
- Place dough ball and roll into a 1/8 inch thick circle
- Spray quiche-baking sheet with cooking spray or butter lightly
- Place rolled dough onto sheet, form accordingly and prick it lightly with a fork
- Cook it according to your recipe (some recipes call for baking the shell along with the filling, others require you to pre-bake the shell and then add the filling)