I am in the process of eating everything out of my fridge before embarking on my fun Spring Break vacation. As such, I made a modified version of Bon Appétit’s Arugula and Bacon Quiche. I didn’t have arugula, so I didn’t use any, making it a straight bacon quiche. I also used my own pie crust recipe, and basically cooked the filling my way. So I guess the BA recipe was a starting point.
- 1 pie crust recipe, as detailed here.
For the filling
- 3/4 lb bacon slices, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 c shallots, chopped
- 1 c whipping cream
- pepper and salt to taste
- 3/ 4 c shredded Gruyère cheese
- Heat oven to 350F
- Roll out pastry as indicated in recipe above and after placing it in your pie/Quiche shell, bake for 9 minutes, uncovered.
- Heat a pan or skillet and cook bacon on medium-high until it’s cooked and crisp. Remove and place on paper towels to dry out excess fat. Leave some bacon fat on skillet and cook shallots in it until they are tender and translucent, about 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix the whipping cream, salt and pepper (careful with salt, remember you are using bacon!) and eggs. Mix well.
- When your pie shell comes out, sprinkle the bacon evenly and top with egg&cream mixture. Return to oven.
- Bake until mixture puffs and looks golden. About 40-45 mins or until a knife inserted in the center of the Quiche comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let it stand for about 10 mins before slicing.
Note: Quiche to me is a little like pizza. I like eating it cold or hot.
I like serving it with a mixed herb salad with lime or balsamic vinegar vinaigrette.