There are times people descend unannounced and you have to feed them. Others you just crave something sweet and don’t really have a ton of time. This recipe got my mom and I out of a pinch so many times I have lost count. Mom got it from my great-aunt, so this is a tried-and-true, third generation tested thing. You can’t go wrong. And it lends itself to simple variations.
CORN FLAKES & PEACHES CUSTARD
- About 1 1/2 c crushed corn flakes
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp sugar
- zest of one lime
- 1 can condensed milk
- 1/3 c lime juice
- 1 15 oz can peaches, drained, fruits sliced
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 11 (or similar) Pyrex dish with about 1 c corn flakes. Save the rest to add as a topping later.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients in the order listed, except the peaches.
- Pour mixture over the corn flakes, spreading it carefully so the cereal doesn’t bunch up, but stays flat on bottom.
- Decorate with the peaches and sprinkle the remainder of the cornflakes on top.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
Variations: You can substitute the cornflakes for rice krispies if you like the flavor or are gluten intolerant. The fruit can also be substituted. We have done it with cherries and I imagine pears would work well too.