I didn’t post a recipe last week, but I cooked with Lisa on Saturday. She baked the vegetable lasagna and I…. made a pumpkin poblano cornbread. I can’t take credit for it, as it comes from the Whole Foods Market Cookbook, but I did do some modifications/additions. After all, as my mom says, how else would recipes circulate if not by trial, error and modification?
PUMPKIN POBLANO CORNBREAD
The recipe is for corn pudding, but I like it in cornbread consistency better.
- 2 1/2 cups cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 (15 oz) can creamed corn
- 1 1/4 c canned pumpkin
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup diced and seeded poblano peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 lb irish cheddar cheese, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Make a hole in the middle and add the eggs, the canola oil and the creamed corn. Mix well and add the pumpkin, ricotta cheese red onion, peppers, ginger and garlic.
- Grease a 13×9 inch pan and layer half of the mixture. Place half of the cheddar cheese slices on top of the mix. Add the remaning part of the mix and top with the rest of the cheddar. Bake for about 45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and the cornbread is golden brown.
Comment: You see that the recipe calls for ricotta. I added the cheddar option. I really like the irish cheddar Whole Foods sells and, frankly, I’m used to the humintas grandma makes at home and they have slices of cheese in between and on top and they are soo much better… So I added the cheddar.
Also, since it was my first recipe out of the cookbook Cristina gave me, it seemed only fitting to bake some of it in the heart-shaped silicone pans she had given me for Valentine’s
Although many may think it doesn’t, this cornbread works super well with a chicken saté that the WFMC also has. The recipe is very long, son I’m not posting it, but trust me it’s a peanut buttery, spicy melt-in-your mouth delicacy!!